Traditionally men didn’t give much thought to their skin. As a result, their skin aged prematurely or get damaged, especially in Australia where we live with a lot of sunshine and UV rays. By the mid-50’s it can feel dry out, overly wrinkled and windburned.
In this article, we look at how you can still give your skin the love and care it deserves. Skincare is not simply about vanity, it is actually a valuable part of your health. Your doctor or pharmacy team can offer you a lot of qualified advice about what skincare options are suitable for you.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body. It provides you with the following essential functions:
- Serves as a waterproof barrier for your body
- Keeps harmful bacteria, viruses, and other toxic elements from the body
- Regulates body temperature
- Acts as a sensory receptor
As we age, there is a slow-down in skin regeneration. The result is wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging dry skin that is more prone to external damage.
Here are six things you can do to start giving your skin the love it deserves:
- Use a sunscreen that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Quit smoking to prevent cellular damage from free radicals.
- Exercise to increase oxygen supply to the skin, thereby increasing the blood flow.
- Drink two litres of water daily to improve skin integrity.
- Eat a diet that is high in antioxidants, which can bind to free radicals. This prevents them from damaging the skin. Look for foods that are high in beta carotene, zinc, and vitamins A and D.
- Moderate your alcohol intake. Alcohol depletes the body of the nutrients that it needs for healthy skin. Too much drinking also forces the skin to filter out a vast number of toxins. It can also lead to a vitamin B Complex deficiency. The B complex vitamins are essential fighters against skin damage. For your skin’s sake, limit yourself to two drinks per day.
Skincare is part of health care. Even if you neglected your skin as a younger man, it is never too late to take more care as you age.
Written by Steve T.
As well as being an author, Steve is experienced in helping people to reach their physical goals.
 Chesak J. The Effortless Man’s Guide to Basic Skin Care. 2018-08-08
All articles are provided as general information and are not intended, nor may it be construed, as medical advice or instruction. Information and opinions expressed are believed to be correct and accurate to the best knowledge and judgement of the authors. Readers should consult their appropriately qualified health care professional prior to taking any action or inaction.