We all deserve to feel our best.
As temperatures fall and the autumnal winds set in, our routine changes and quite often, we’re left feeling weak and fatigued. As our body works extra hard playing catch up, immunity levels dip and we’re left feeling rotten.
If you wake up feeling weak and fatigued, take a minute to reassess your winter routine, diet and lifestyle choices. There’s a chance you’re missing out on a vital nutrient: iron.
Iron is super important in producing haemoglobin, a protein found in red blood cells. These cells carry oxygen around the body and as the body needs oxygen to survive, consistent iron intake is vital. An iron deficiency can lead to fatigue, breathlessness, decreased immunity and anaemia. You might even experience difficulty concentrating, hair loss, headaches and dizziness.
Here are some easy ways to ensure your iron levels are healthy:
– Eat foods rich in iron, i.e. green vegetable, lentils, beans, nuts and seeds
– Try to consume more vitamin C, this can help iron absorption
– Limit your intake of alcohol and tea, these can reduce iron absorption
– Consider adding iron supplements to your diet
– Speak to a healthcare professional
– Take some time out for yourself this winter to ensure your iron and energy levels are up.
If you suspect your iron levels may be low, head to your local Blooms The Chemist for an iron test to get an indication of your levels. It’s super easy — your pharmacist will draw a blood sample from your fingertip and place the sample on a test strip. The process should take about one minute and your pharmacist will advise you on what you should do.
For more information on good health, drop into your local Blooms The Chemist.